Removing Suggested YouTube Videos
Using embedded videos on your website is great. Video content on your website can help reduce your bounce rate and encourages users to stay and look around a little longer.
We encourage our clients to use video throughout their website. Call to actions at the end of a video are a great way of directing website visitors to different pages to answer the questions they may have at different stages of the sales funnel.
There’s just 1 little annoying problem when using embedded YouTube videos – and we’ve got the quick solution for you!
Suggested Content from Embedded YouTube Videos
We’re sure you’ve seen it; YouTube displays related videos at the end of a video once you’ve finished watching it.
Just in case you haven’t, this is what we’re talking about:
These are the suggested videos at the end of a Talking Heads Video for a GDPR compliance company. YouTube has suggested a couple of other talking heads videos and a selection of our own videos from the GingerVideo YouTube channel.
When you’re browsing YouTube, hoping to stumble upon the latest funny cat video, this is a useful feature. But when you’re using a video on your website, and encouraging the viewer to complete a desired action… it’s not so great. In fact, it can be problematic.
Having the suggested videos at the end can feel un-personal and can distract the viewer from what you’re really trying to show them. So here’s how to remove them:
How to Remove Suggested Videos
It’s important to note that you can only remove the suggested videos on an embedded video (for example, one on your website), and not on videos hosted on YouTube itself.
Here’s how to remove those pesky suggested videos: (Note: this needs to be done when uploading the video to your site, and not when it’s already on the site)
1. Go to the video’s individual page on YouTube
2. At the bottom of the video, click ‘Share’
3. Once you have clicked ‘Share’, a tab will open up underneath the video with a link to share the video. Above that, is a tab that says ‘Embed’, click that.
4. This will open up another tab underneath that supplies an embed code. Underneath that there will be a little button that says ‘Show More’, click the button.
5. This will bring up more options around embedding the video. You need to untick the box that says ‘Show suggest videos when the video finishes’. Doing so will change the embed code above, it will add something along the lines of “?rel=0”
6. Copy the embed code and paste it where you want the video to appear!
Pretty easy hey? And now your viewer will stay focused on the call to action at the end of your video rather than be distracted by funny cat videos!
Other posts you may be interested in:
If you’d like to discover more handy video marketing tips, check out our blog page.