With video taking the social media world by storm over the last few years, it’s not surprising to hear that more and more platforms are becoming increasingly accommodating for video. The creation of Facebook Watch for example. Instagram however has taken this to a WHOLE. NEW, LEVEL!
Introducing … IGTV!
If you’ve never heard of this new feature, don’t panic, (you’re not that out of the loop considering it was only launched in late June 2018.) We’ve written this blog to explain it all to you, so you can start using it in your marketing strategies.
So… What is IGTV?
IGTV stands for Instagram TV and is designed specifically for long form vertical video sharing, unlike YouTube, which only formats videos in a horizontal orientation. The upload length depends on which kind of user you are and how high you are up the creator ladder. If you are a professionally established content creator you have up to an hour to fill with whatever content you like, however if you are a standard Instagram user you only get up to 10 minutes of screen time.
Not only is IGTV a feature on the original app itself, Instagram have also developed a second stand-alone app dedicated to the new streaming service.
Why does IGTV have its own app?
It can be argued that there are 2 reasons for which this new app was created;
- The first being; it is a known fact people enjoy watching videos on Instagram and as a result of this, video has taken over the platform. So to try and fix this Instagram decided to make a dedicated app to video so viewers can access them easier.
- The second is that the owners of Instagram – Facebook, have been dead set on becoming a fully video platform. In an effort to try to achieve this they have launched quite a few initiatives to get video to stick. Ads that are placed next to videos are more valuable to Facebook (and Instagram) because they cost more. This means, the more people that are encouraged to watch video on the platform, the more beneficial they are.
How to use IGTV?
In order for you to be able to upload to IGTV you first need to create a channel. To do this, all you have to do is download the IGTV app, and sign in with your Instagram details. Next, select the “Settings” gear icon that is next to your profile picture, and press “Create Channel”. Alternatively… Update your Instagram so you have the most up to date version, tap the little TV icon in the top right of the app and create your channel from there.
Once you have a channel created, to actually upload a video: click on your profile icon then select, “upload video”. From there it’s almost the same as uploading to Instagram. (Which we show you how to do in this blog HERE.)
What to post on it?
When using the app for business its important to understand what to post to IGTV in order for you to get the best reach possible and the most engagements on your channel.
Some interesting things to think about posting are things such as:
- Exclusive content for new products.
- A behind the scenes look into special campaigns.
- A video series about a product or service that you want more recognition of.
- Latest news in or out the office associated with your company and even your employees.
Your content can also be themed. This engages viewers further and allows you to get brand recognition when viewers see specific icons or colours associated with your company.
What does it mean for marketing?
The marketing and distribution of videos can be a tricky thing to get your head around because there are so many ways you can implement them into your own marketing strategies. Using IGTV is a great way to excite your audience from the beginning of a campaign or event you’re hosting.
It can also become another platform to further your audience reach and develop a deeper connection with them. You also get to learn which videos and products your market like and dislike. Your channel can also be used as a subject for posts on other social media sites to again, increase brand awareness and help your target market get a better understanding of your brand and the voice it carries.
That’s where we come in…
Ginger Video is an experienced strategic marketing company with video at our heart. We offer end-to-end, filmic solutions for ambitious companies, from concept through to implementation, on your platforms of choice.
We use the power of video and video marketing to help you communicate your message and engage & educate your customers.
Contact us today to see if we can help you make the videos your company needs to excel in your field of business and stand out from your competitors!